Thursday, December 29

 My main task of the day in to mate up the base plate and the cradle body.  I start that by setting the cradle body on the base plate, centering it,  and tracing a line around the bottom of the body inside and outside.

Then I set an angle gauge to 8° and use it as a guide to drill pilot holes centered in the track I traced, through the base plate.
 I then clamp the cradle body to the base plate and stand it up so I can get to the underside where I drill up through the pilot holes and into the cradle body.  I countersink the the holes so the screw heads will be slightly recessed.

 I set the rocker assembly in place just to be sure I didn't drill screw holes in places that will be made inaccessible by the rockers.  We're good.
 I brought in one board that is 12 inches wide for use as the roof.  I select the part of that board I want to use, cut it out of the board and surface plane it down to finished thickness.

I do not joint this one first because it's 12 inches wide and even my big jointer won't handle a board that wide.  The board has no twist to it, just a little cup, so I will be able to flatten it well with just the surface planer.
The roof board was chosen partly because it is wide enough to get the roof panels out of a single board - no glue-up needed - and partly because of it's "wormy" condition.  I have to dig out the worm "leavings" and fill their tracks with wood filler.  This will make for a beautiful touch of character on the roof.

While the filler dries I remove one side at a time, apply glue to the edges of the headboard,  footboard, and crown and reattach the side with screws.  Then I plug the screw holes, trim off the plugs and sand the whole exterior of the body. 

I will lacquer the base plate separately from the cradle body because I'm not going to glue the body to the base.  The base will need to be allowed to expand and contract a little across its width.  The headboard and footboard have their long grain running across the base, so they will not expand and contract with it.  They are matched up to the sides so all will expand and contract vertically together.

By lacquering the body (after I've installed the roof) without the base, I'll be able to shoot the entire interior easily.  So I take the time to do a good job of finish sanding the body.

All that's left is to make the roof panels, please stop in again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.