Yesterday I jointed and surface planed the shelf blanks that were produced by resawing thick lumber the day before. While surfacing them, the Delta planer started sounding really angry again and this time I was not able to tighten anything up to make the sound stop. I suspect it's in the bearing next to the drive pulley. I managed to do what needed doing that day, but it will probably have to go to Knoxville to be rebuilt again to get it working properly. I'm not sue I want to put that much into it again.
By doing this, the edge of the shelf - particularly on the front - will match up especially well and should look like a solid piece of wood with no joint at all.
I set up the table saw, mark the blanks to help me keep the strips oriented properly to the shelf base and rip the strips. I am very careful to keep the strips with their shelf base.
These will not have to sit for long, just long enough for the glue to tack - an hour or so - then I'll remove the clamps and use them on the next shelf. I won't work with these parts again until the glue has set up hard. It will take two days to get all he shelves through this step.
Because of the steep angle of the first cut, I have to turn the angle gauge around backward so it will sit on the table and securely hold the leg blanks as I make the cuts. I test the set-up on a piece of scrap first.
The right-most cut-out could not be cut because the left end of the bundle hit the wall. The saw is bolted to the floor, so moving it out a bit will be a chore. It was easier to cut that one last, swing the gauge around the other way and lay-out that final cut on the back of the bundle. That only took a few moments because I have a good gauge that is accurate and fast to set.
I'll continue gluing up shelves for the rest of this day. In between I'll sand the baffle parts that will be attached between the front legs. They are stacked behind the legs in the photo.
See you tomorrow!