Tuesday, November 15

Pegging the stopper rack is my assigned task for today.

 This begins by affixing pieces of masking tape to the shelves and body where I will be making lay-out marks for the peg locations.

I do this to avoid making pencil marks on the wood that I will later have to sand back off again.  I will have to sand: to level and smooth the pegs, but the pencil can cut into the wood requiring that I sand deeper to remove them.  That changes the shape of the shelves, requiring more sanding to restore the curves... it's just much less hassle to mark on the tape.  On the walnut parts, the pencil marks are hard to see, so the tape provides much better visibility as well.
 After drawing the lay-out marks and punching the centers I move to the drill press to bore the holes that pass through the shelves and into the body below.  The pegs in the body side pass through that and into the base plate.
 After knocking out the wood chips I apply glue to each hole with a small artists brush, tap in a length of dowel rod until it bottoms out (the ping, ping sound changes to a thud sound) then use a flush-cut saw to remove the excess dowel, sand a slight bevel on the sawn end to help it go into the next hole smoothly and continue. I use a small piece of scrap set up against the face of the rack to prevent the saw from scoring up that part when it cuts through the dowel - these are close quarters on those rear-most pegs.
Once all the pegs are in I sand them flush with 100 grit paper on a block, then smooth with 150 grit paper.

A final finish sanding and a good once-over with a brush and a tack rag prepare the rack to go into the finishing room for lacquering.

I got the first coat on before other obligations called me away for the evening.  I'll complete the lacquering tomorrow and it will be ready to box and ship as soon as that's done.

Because this is not a standard item I will not add it to the web site, but will send a PayPal e-bill to the customer who requested the rack.  We'll wrap this one up tomorrow, I'll see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.