Friday, January 7

Walnut Trunk – Banding

Today I Installed the banding pieces in the trunk.  These are short, decorative pieces that fit between the long rails to form a gridwork.  Before I do that I sand the recessed panels with sanding blocks.  I go through all but the final finish grade of sandpaper.  It’s much easier to sand these now while they are open full length than they will be when the banding breaks them up into a grid.

I previously milled out several long strips and surfaced them down to the proper thickness to match the height of the rails above the flat panels.  I very carefully square up one end of a strip, lay it in place and carefully mark where it needs to be cut, taking this dimension directly from the trunk rather than trying to measure.

I’ll cut it just a hair long on the miter saw, then sneak up on a perfect fit.  The goal here is to get a fit that is snug, but not so tight that it must be forced in.  If I force it, the pieces will deflect the outer rails and could make fitting the lid difficult.

I sand the edges of the strips before installing them, but not the faces.

I fit all the pieces for one side at a time.  When all are ready I glue the banding pieces to the panel.  If the fit is not quite tight enough to hold the banding down against the panel with friction, I can apply a little extra pressure with a clamp until the glue sets up.

I’ll let the glue set up before I work with these again.- just to make sure I don’t cause any to pop off because the glue wasn’t hard enough to stand power sanding. 

That’s it for today, I’ll see you next time!

What We’re Building:

Walnut Steamer Trunk for David B. – In Progress
Utility Trailer Make-Over for David B. - In Progress, sort of
4 Tray Tables, all walnut (custom size) with stand for Shelly
3-Tier Bottle Stopper Rack, all red oak for Donna
4-Tier Bottle Stopper Rack cherry & maple for David K.
3-Tier Bottle Stopper Rack (Standard) for Dan G.
Kitchen organizer - Marie B.- Producing Design
4 TV Tray Tables and stand in maple for Jeffrey P.
Computer Desk for Laptop for Marie B.
Printer Cabinet for Marie B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.