Wednesday, January 26

Bottle Stopper Racks – Shelves

Today I will make and attach the shelves to the bodies I built yesterday. I start by sorting the shelf parts. I made extra blanks that I will tuck away for use on other racks, so I can sort though them and pick those that match up best and group them into sets for each of the bases.

I determine orientation (which face to go up which edge is front) and bundle the shelf blanks into sets of 4 using masking tape. I use my template to mark the bundles for center points of each stopper hole and radius on the front corners.

The I set up the drill press with a Forstner bit, stop fence and bottom board. The fence insures the holes all line up properly and keeps the bundle from whirling around and smashing my fingers should the bit catch or I lose my grip. The bottom board allows me to bore all the way through the bundle without tearing up my bit on the cast iron table. Both of these are just pieces of scrap wood.

With the holes bored, I remove the tape to separate the shelves – keeping them sorted into bundles. Then I set up the router table with a round-over bit which I will use to ease the edges of the holes and the ends and front of the shelves.

Now it’s time to sand everything: outsides of the bodies, both sides of the shelves and the retainer bar that goes in the back. I do all of this by hand with sanding blocks.

When the sanding is done I take all the parts into the assembly room and glue and clamp them together. I’ll let these set up overnight for maximum strength before I go on to the final step. We’ll get to that tomorrow.

See you then!

What We’re Building:


Utility Trailer Make-Over for David B. - In Progress, sort of
4 Tray Tables, all walnut (custom size) with stand for Shelly - Building Jigs
3-Tier Bottle Stopper Rack, all red oak for Donna – In Progress
4-Tier Bottle Stopper Rack cherry & maple for David K. – In Progress
3-Tier Bottle Stopper Rack (Standard) for Dan G.- In Progress
Kitchen organizer - Marie B.- Producing Design
4 TV Tray Tables and stand in maple for Jeffrey P.
Computer Desk for Laptop for Marie B.
Printer Cabinet for Marie B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.