Thursday, December 13

Two Down, Two to Go

I was in at 6:00 again this morning to get the two wall hung stopper racks finish sanded and the first coat of lacquer on before breakfast. Kathy’s rack is our standard two tone configuration with walnut sides and poplar or maple shelves, Karen elected to go all cherry with hers.

After breakfast I shot another coat on both racks, scuff sanded and shot the final coat. When the lacquer hardened up well I boxed them both up, ran shipping labels for them
and gave Willis, our UPS man, a call. He will pick them up this afternoon.

While all this was going on, I unclamped the last of the walnut half-panels and prepared them for surface planning. Timing is good here because the knives in my surface planer are in need of changing, so I can use the old set to strip off the glue pips because this can chip the blades, then change the blades before I get into smoothing the wood. This will yield a much better finish in these ribbon panels.

I also roughed out the stand parts for all 4 table sets. Here the stand parts are foreground left, the half-panels are right and have been smoothed in the planer. Next I will need to change the blades and run them all several more times. The tricky part here is marking them so that I can pair them back up in the proper orientation again – I keep cutting off the alignment marks as I plane the faces and trim or joint the edges.

But now I have to go home and get cleaned up and ready to go to a special program at church.

See you tomorrow,
Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.