Wednesday, November 21

Staining - black

I started out the day bright and early by stripping off the hardware Marie and I worked so hard last night to install and do the final round of finish sanding on the oak trunk. At least all that hardware will be easier to re-install now that the screw holes are in place.

Then it’s into the finishing room with it, one piece at a time. The oak trunk gets a treatment where I apply flat black paint, let it set for a few minutes, then wipe it back off so the grain shows through the remaining paint. Much like applying a stain, except that it is more difficult to work because it wasn’t made to be used this way. There are tons of nooks and crannies to work the stain into (and get it back out of) so this is a time consuming process and I have to work on smallish areas at a time or the paint sets up too much and I can't get it back off properly. When I finish the top of the lid I set it aside and put the box on the table to start working the outside.
I wasn't sure if Lynn wants the inside of this one black as well or just the outside, so I called her. The cherry one I would assume would be inside and outside, but I like this one with the rustic black outside and the fresh oak inside.

Once the outside is done I give the paint a chance to get dry to the touch so I can start to roll the box around and stain the inside. Since that was Lynn's decision. Then I can set the box aside and work on the tray. While the tray is drying, I put the maple trunk up on the table and strip the hardware off of that one.

If you look close you will see that I’ve tagged each piece of hardware for location and orientation and I keep all the hardware for each trunk in separate trays. This way I can be reasonably assured that it will all go back on just as it was.

When the black paint is all dry, and I’ve finish sanded the maple trunk I bring the parts in for a coat of sealer as preparation for the antique cherry stain.

But that will have to wait until next time for I’m being told that the shop is closing at 7:00 tonight so we can prepare for Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!.

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.