Monday, March 27

Eng Gdn Bench Day 04

Work day begins: 5:30 AM I have some e-mail to handle, a bid to get started on and several days worth of project notes to get caught up on. I’ve been remiss in keeping up with this blog and the project article, so I have to get things caught up this morning while the workshop warms up. It looks like the rain and snow that has plagued us for the past week will not be a problem today: blue skies and a predicted high in the 50s. It’s chilly this morning though. Catching up a little, I’ve gotten the 4 arms glued up, cut to shape and sanded and 3 of the four front leg blanks glued up. I’ll glue the 4th this morning once the shops’ interior temperature gets above 50 degrees so the glue will work properly. Too cold and it will not set up hard enough. Then I’ll get started on the back legs. But now I need to get busy formatting photos and writing. Lunch Time The power went out for most of the morning, so I got precious little done. It was out long enough that even the battery back-ups on the computers wore out. I was *forced* to take the dogs for a walk on this beautiful day. Workshop closes: 5:15 PM I got the boards for all four rear legs surface planed, and one cut into billets for the rear legs. These are a little trickier than the other parts so far because in order to get all 3 pieces from the same board (thus attain better color matching) they have to overlap so I can’t just cross cut the board on the table saw. I lay them out on the board, then use a saber saw to cut between the parts to “chunk” up the board into manageable pieces. I got the first leg blank drilled, glued and clamped. Man Hours Billed: 4:15 Materials Billed: 16 bf white oak. To view the detailed construction article on this piece, click this entry’s title above. If you enjoy this Daily Shop Notes blog, you will also want to look at our Doug Bob blog, .which is available from my profile page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.