Monday, March 6

6 Drwr CD Chest Day 10

Work day begins: 7:00 AM. The weekend turned out to be quite busy, and I didn’t get into the workshop at all – other than to pull and store the white oak we’ll need for the next project. So, we’ll be doing the staining on this chest today. If the weather is dry and warm(er) today, we may be able to shoot the lacquer this evening. Lunch Time. I spent most of the morning staining the chest. First I had to remove the drawer fronts from the drawer boxes because the boxes don’t get stained. Because it’s cooler and damper than what is ideal for staining (the weather dude is predicting snow showers for this evening) it took longer than normal for the stain to take hold. Where I would usually allow it to set for 5 minutes, took around 15 minutes before I could wipe the excess off and get the right color. But it’s done. I’ll have to check it occasionally to see that we don’t have little droplets bleeding back out of the grain, but otherwise the workshop is closed down until the stain cures and I can shoot the lacquer. This afternoon I have plenty of web site maintenance to keep me busy, so it won’t be wasted time. The stain is dry to the touch, so I’ll go ahead and shoot the lacquer this evening, that way it will be ready to package up in the morning. I can’t ship until I get confirmation that the e-check used to pay the balance has cleared the bank, but at least it will be ready to go as soon as that happens. Workshop closes: 6:30 PM. A quick clean-up of the gun and brushes and I’m outta here until the air is more breathable. Back to the web site maintenance. To view the detailed construction article on this piece, click this entry’s title above. If you enjoy this Daily Shop Notes blog, you will also want to look at our Doug Bob blog, .which is available from my profile page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.