Tuesday, February 22

Custom TV Tray Tables – Spreaders

Today I start with the parts blanks I roughed out previously.  First up will be the spreaders.  These fit between the legs to hold them at the proper distance apart and stiffen the table against racking.
I plane them to thickness, rip them to width and finally trim both ends to bring them to the proper length and make sure the ends are square.
My standard template is made so it not only lays out the arches, but also the center points for the holes that will become an oval hole for the latch tab and the pilot holes in the ends where crews will come through the leg and into the spreader.
To make Shelly’s oversized tables I must make an oversized template out of scrap wood.  This one is not fancy for after this use it will end up as firewood so I don’t want to put a lot of time into making it pretty, just functional.  Fairing the arch so it is symmetrical from end to end take about an hour.
when it’s done I use it to lay-out the arches on the walnut spreaders just as I did on Jeff’s maple spreaders.  Then I take them all to the band saw and cut away the bulk of the waste.  This consumes the rest of the afternoon, I’ll pick it up here next time.



What We’re Building:
Utility Trailer Make-Over for David B. - In Progress
4 Tray Tables, all walnut (custom size) with stand for Shelly – In Progress
4 TV Tray Tables and stand in maple for Jeffrey P. – In Progress
Kitchen organizer - Marie B.- Producing Design
Computer Desk for Laptop for Marie B.
Printer Cabinet for Marie B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.