Tuesday, October 3

Tuesday

We bought ourselves a new mattress set last night, and this morning was the first time in a long time that I didn’t wake up feeling like I’d been hit by a truck. We hauled the old set off to the local “convenience center” then Marie dropped me back by here and headed out to do her thing. Today I’m working on making the shelves for this book case. That means starting with rough lumber, cross-cutting lengths that are just a wee bit longer than the finished shelves need to be, then ripping those pieces in half lengthwise, surface planing them to 7/8”, glue jointing them, and gluing them back together into wide boards for the shelves. Why cut wide boards into narrow pieces just to glue them back together? To prevent the shelves from curling up. By alternating grain patterns so they will fight against each other should they decide to “move”, we can greatly reduce or eliminate the chance that the shelf will twist or cup. My day’s plan ran into a snag when a neighbor, who is ill, needed some assistance and I took time to help. I did get one shelf glued and clamped. I’ll work on the others tomorrow. See you then, Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Appropriate comments are welcome. All comments are reviewed before being posted. Spam messages (anything not a direct discussion of this message) and all profanity will be deleted. Don't waste your time or mine by posting trash here.