Then I use the jointer to flatten one wide face of each board. With the wide face flattened I flip it up and run the jointed face along the fence and let the cutters straighten an edge and make it square to the flattened face. That's two sides, smooth straight and square.
Then I run the boards through out surface planer, with the flattened face down on the bed. The cutter-head (above the board) skins off the rough wood to smooth that face and make it parallel to the jointed face: three sides smooth straight and square to one another.
On the table saw I remove the last edge to make it straight and square to the two faces and parallel to the jointed edge. Now we're ready to start assembling parts.
First up it's back to the chop saw to trim the dressed boards to finished lengths.
Yeah, I know: nails - shudder! But this isn't fine furniture and time is short.
I needed to add a batten inside the long pack panel to help keep the boards aligned. I drove nails through and clinched them to hold the batten tightly to the panel. Here's a good way to clinch nails so they never snag anyone:
I cut a plywood baffle to go in beside the doorway. This will help keep the winds out in the winter. I brace it top and bottom as well as screwing it to a center cleat. The braces will (hopefully) keep him from breaking off the baffle if he gets rowdy in his cabin.
Then I can begin assembling the panels into the basic structure.
And that's it. I think it's a fine lil cabin for our classic American Bulldog guest. It is by no means a furniture grade project, but it was fun to build, it serves a useful purpose, doesn't look half-bad, and it cost us nothing. At least not now. It was built entirely from materials we had on hand, so there was no out-of-pocket expense in it's construction. Of course, we bought all that stuff earlier, so it's not entirely free, but close enough.
Hope you enjoyed following along. Come back again soon, I'll be starting on Marie's headboard.
This cabin has been in service for 7 years now. I have made repairs now and then, but the basic structure (including the roof) is original. I'd say it has held up really well for something we put together in a hurry.